5 TAKEAWAYS FROM 2017
Overall, 2017 was one of the more transitional years I’ve had in my life. Through the highs and lows, I have grown tremendously and feel that I know myself better than ever before. Looking back at this past year, I realize that I have learned some considerably valuable things about life. Here are 5 that are the standout takeaways of my year.
- Being strong enough to purge and let go of people that no longer fit in your life: You get to a point in life where you just want a clear mind. You appreciate people and things that bring you comfort, calm and peace. You want to be surrounded by people who are comfortable in their own skin, who are strong and understand life and its complexities. You want people in your life who are reliable, consistent and respectful of your time. You have no patience for drama, jealousy, flakiness or cattiness. You are way too old for that shit! Lol Don’t ever feel guilty for these thoughts. There are many people that will begin this journey with you, but simply won’t finish it with you. Everyone has a time and place in your life. I learned this year how to say when, to let go and say goodbye.
- Going after your passions and taking chances is essential to your happiness: No matter how much work and time it’s going to take (let’s face the time is going to pass anyways) or how many doubts you have, you have to try. You have to go for it. Ignore your fears, and ignore the naysayers and haters. Trust me, you will definitely have them. Believe that the desire inside was carefully placed there for a reason. Have faith. You have one life to make it happen. What’s much worse than fear? Wonder and regret. This will eat you up from the inside out. Do the work. If something is that important to you, you will do whatever it takes! You will come up against adversity for certain. Be persistent and keep going.
- Moving away from your comfort zone to experience a different way of life: As most of you who know me, know that I’ve always wanted to move back to California. Well, I am proud and happy to say, I followed thru on that dream this year-2017! I did it! If you desire to travel or want to try a new place to live, make it happen. It will take some planning. It’s stressful. It’s expensive and it takes a whole lot out of you both physically and mentally. You will probably have to sacrifice one thing to gain another. Don’t let this stop you! Don’t overthink it. Your heart will mostly lead the way. Just make sure you take your mind with you. You do have to prepare and realize there will be a transition period. One that might be tough, but eventually you will feel right back in your comfort zone. A “new comfort zone”. It’s truly empowering to fulfill something you have always desired to do!
- Age is just a number: You are only as old as you feel! I feel 21! 😉 ha Who you end up connecting with is not dictated by age. I’ve met 30 somethings that acted like true gentlemen and 40 somethings that are only interested in playing the field (such an immediate turn-off btw. Takes you from hot to not in 5 mins.). Pay attention to the cues men give. Understand that you will not change a man. If he’s telling you he doesn’t want a commitment and he likes being single, listen to him- HE DOESN’T WANT TO BE IN A RELATIONSHIP!!!! Love and life is truly on a per person basis. Who might be right for you in a relationship is definitely more about the individual then it is about his age. I’m learning to give things a chance. I do have my limits, but at least I’ve learned to be more open-minded and accepting of things outside my comfort range.
- Sleep is crucial: No matter how much you workout, eat right and drink water, if you are not sleeping and stressed all the time, it will negatively affect you. I’ve learned that instead of watching T.V. and staying up late on electronics, I need to read, meditate or stretch. Doing these things means the difference between a well-rested night and major dark circles! This girly-girl, would rather feel like a rock star any day than look like a raccoon! Ha I need 7 ½ hours sleep, no ifs ands or buts to be the best me! This is something I need to continue to work on in the 2018.
2017 I conquered a lot. I’ve come a long way baby. I’m now stronger, wiser and armed with an attitude and an enthusiasm to make 2018 my best year yet! I’m really looking forward to the New Year and a fresh start. Good bye 2017..Hello 2018! Here we go-Let’s do this!
For more about life and love from Keri go here