It is a typical day here in Boston. When I say typical, I mean after we start to realize summer is finally in sight. It’s May, gyms and gym classes are packed. I see new faces popping up in the weight lifting area.
There’s a line a mile long at the juice bar with members ordering Kale anything ;-). Everyone seems to be armed with a new fitness app, a positive attitude and a determination in their eyes to be bikini body ready! I’m all for it!
So where do you begin? We are inundated constantly with all different trendy classes, fancy workout apps and an infinite number of instructors. How do people know which classes to try? How will they know which will actually work best for their body and body goals? This is where I come in. Since, one of my fitness goals for 2017 has been to change up my workout and try new things, I decided to test out 5 new exercise classes of varying degrees of difficulty and share my thoughts about them with you.
1. PILATES REFORMER(ONE ON ONE) @EQUINOX SPORTSCLUB, Boston, MA– My initial reaction upon walking into the room was WOW, look at all these “contraptions”! ha I was intrigued!!!! I filled out a quick questionnaire and Casey, my awesome instructor, guided me thru numerous exercises. Whoa, was all I could think. This was extremely hard. Working muscles I never knew I had! Stretching, lengthening, and holding your body in difficult positions for multiple seconds. Seconds, which felt like an eternity to me. An eternity towards a longer, leaner and stronger body and I’ll take it!!!!! Lol I think combined with cardio this would be an amazing overall body workout. I will definitely be doing this again. It challenged my mind, my body, my abs and my core already feels stronger after just 1 session! This workout gets the thumbs up from me! The only downside is the cost of a private session can be expensive. One on One sessions can run around $110. If you purchase the sessions in packages, the price can be a little less.
2. MET CON3 (A HIIT Workout-High Intensity Interval Training) @EQUINOX-SPORTSCLUB , Boston, MA– with Donny Fausey (Weds 6:30-7:30am) Weights, steppers, vipers, body weight you name it this class uses it all…Here we go! Music comes on and from that moment on it was exercise after exercise, 1 min each, high intensity. Squats, Lunges, push ups, planks, mountain climbers, oh my….an hour later I was drenched and very happy that I pushed myself and my body to try something different! The class was worth getting up at 5:40am for and I WILL be doing this again next Wednesday! Try it for sure! It’s intense, but in a really good way!
3. COREPOWER YOGA-(COREPOWER YOGA SCULPT) Del Mar, CA. & South End, Boston– This is not your typical yoga. Don’t be fooled! This is yoga on steroids! Hot room(98 degress), weights, burpees, squats and the hardest workout I have done in ages! I have never sweat so hard in my life and have never felt so good! I leave the studio feeling like a true badass every time! I feel peaceful, centered, stronger and lighter! Highly recommend Fridays Sculpt class in Del Mar, CA at 9am with Jill, 9:00am Mondays with Kimberly and Thursdays at 9:00am with Tammy! In Boston, I recommend 7:30am with Sabrina on Tuesdays and 7:30am with Leah on Thursdays. Nothing like being taught by amazing and strong women!!! TRY IT, you will not regret it! $89 first month unlimited classes-$144 monthly in San Diego and $155 monthly in Boston thereafter. After my first week of class I joined myself!
4. EVERYBODY FIGHTS: BOXING- The first word that comes to mind is EMPOWERING. You walk in the door and you feel the strength roll through your body. It’s a vibe and an aura that can’t quite be described in words. I put on my wraps and kept my boxing gloves close. From that moment on it was station to station. Lunges, abs, weights, bobbing and weaving, mitt drills and hitting the bags. With every move I felt the sweat dripping, my core strengthening, and my mind emptying. This is an intense workout. Perfect for attaining a strong core, a peaceful mind, and leaning out just in time for summer. They will also be offering outdoor 5:30am workouts at M Street Beach on Wednesdays in South Boston for $30 a class. Come and try this, it’s a fantastic workout!
5. BARRE: Inspired by ballet with a little yoga and pilate’s influence. Don’t think this is an easy-breezy workout, because the instructors make it look that way! This was hard work! Balancing yourself on the Barre as you do very small movements, contracting small specific muscles, while keeping the rest of your body still. Just when you thought the multiple, or should I say, endless reps were hard, the instructor throws in a couple of light hand weights to torture us. My first reaction when I saw the weights were this is nothing I lift 12.5lbs! I was WRONG OMG! Those little weights are not so easy lifted over and over again in a small range of motion. I felt the burn in my arms and all the muscles in my ass! Ahahaha I will say this, I now know why Ballerina’s have such gorgeous legs and butts!!!! Ladie’s you still have to do cardio, but this class is amazing for toning the “tough women areas”! Try it! You can be strong AND elegant 😉
Exhale Barre Yoga Spa